As most have heard by now, there is a new Youth Protection Training module available from the National Office. It is required that every adult member with direct contact with youth take this training.
For all Council and District registered Scouters, this course MUST be completed NOT LATER THAN June 30, 2018.
Here in the Montana Council, we strongly urged completion by June 15, 2018, to ensure all Scouters are available for registration with their respective positions. All remaining Scouters MUST complete the course NOT LATER THAN September 30, 2018.
The course is offered in two formats, online and classroom. The online course takes about 1 hour while the classroom course requires about 1.5 hours.
To access the online training, complete the following steps:
1) Log into my.scouting.org using your standard username and password. If you do not have a BSA member number, you can still create an account and access the training.
2) Once logged into your account, look to the right-hand side for the Youth Protection Shield. Click anywhere in the shield. This will open a new tab in your browser containing the training. Note, if you have security settings set to not open new tabs, right-click with the mouse and select “Open in New Window” or “Open in New Tab”.
3) The training consists of 4 modules
4) Each module can be taken independently, but all modules MUST be completed to receive credit for the course. The final module is a short exam where the Scouter must score 75% or better for credit.
5) The training will remember which module you need to take in sequence, so if you are interrupted prior to completion, just re-access the training and continue to the end.
6) Once this training is completed, the system will generate a PDF showing completion and update your specific training records within 24 hours of completion.
7) Log out or close the browser – you are done!
The second method to complete this training is in the classroom. This will require a trainer to establish a course and conduct the course.
The recommendation is to take the online training given the tight deadlines required by National.
Also, Montana Council has required all Scouters to be trained in YPT Annually from the date of the course completion.
Please do not wait until the last minute to take this course. The online course is offered by the National Office through their training partner.
If everyone in the country is waiting, then by the deadline, the ability to complete this course would be severely impacted due to the massive number of people trying to get done.
Montana Council prides itself on leading the nation on having all our Scouters be 100% compliant with this important training. Remember, Youth Protection begins with YOU!