Great news Team 315 Skiers and Snowboarders! We now have a location for our event.
We will be staying at the Cinnamon Lodge in Big Sky. Thank you to Morgen Ayres with the Cinnamon Lodge for reducing the fees so the Boy Scouts have a lodge for our event.
Date: Thursday, January 11 – Saturday, Jan 13.
Cost: $90.00 per Scout. Adult fees should be same as last year. We are waiting on the resort to confirm.
Where: Big Sky Ski Resort
What do I get for the event?
- 2-nights lodging
- Meals for event
- 2 Days equipment rental
- ½ day ski or snowboard lesson
- 2 days lift tickets at Big Sky Ski Resort.
- 1 Snow Sports Merit badge, if you do the paperwork.
If you have joined us in the past, the event will be very similar. The lodge location has changed.
The Cinnamon Lodge is a restaurant and event center. In the lodge, there and no bedroom or bunk beds. If you want to stay inside that is fine but you will have to pick up your sleeping bag each night as we will need the floor space for meals.
We have the building for the full event and you can leave your gear in the building.
We do have space behind the event center to set up tents for sleeping. This will be on top of the snow on the grass lawn.
Each Scout will need to be prepared for sleeping in the snow if they bring a tent. Bring your own tent. The lodge also has cabins for rent if you want to rent one. Contact the Cinnamon Lodge for more information.
At the request of several Scoutmasters and parents, we will be able to hold the fees for each Scout at 90.00. If the Scout is still in high school the rate will be 90.00. This will allow an 18-19-year-old to still get the discounted rate.
We are paying a flat fee for the lodge so there will be no discounts if a Scout does not stay in the lodge.
Meals – Thank you to Maryanne for taking care of us the past several years. This year Maryanne will not be able to be our cook.
Here is what we need help with:
- Each Scout will brown bag their own meal Thursday night.
- We need a cook for breakfast Friday morning. This will include help to find food for this event. Does someone have some elk sausage?
- We need help to find supplies for brown bag lunch Friday. Each Scout will make their lunch and take it with them to the mountain.
- We need help with dinner Friday night? Will someone take on dinner Friday night?
- We need help with Saturday breakfast.
- We need help to find supplies for brown bag lunch Saturday. Each Scout will make their lunch and take it with them to the mountain.
- We are done on the mountain at the end of the ski day Saturday. No dinner Saturday night.
Here is how the event weekend will be organized:
- Scouts will arrive Thursday night at the cinnamon lodge no events planned.
- Friday morning we arrive at Big Sky Ski Resort by 8:00 am to rent gear. Each troop is responsible for transportation to the lodge and mountain each day.
- Friday morning will be required ski or snowboard lesson for each Scout on the 90.00 rate.
- Friday lunch brown bag and meet in the lodge and put Scouts into groups.
- Free/open skiing Friday afternoon. Scouts will be at two different levels. They will stay on required ski lifts or the advanced skiers will stay with volunteer guides. We need volunteers to help patrol the lifts with our Scouts. An adult or Scoutmaster can take their Scouts and ski the full mountain.
- Friday, after the lifts close, Julie Evans and the Big Sky Ski Patrol are planning a fun educational event. More information to come but do bring your beacon, probe, and shovel. If you do not have avalanche gear we can share. We did have a scout get “buried alive” last year and the dog found him.
- Saturday morning load out all your gear as we will not return to the lodge after Saturday morning.
- Make brown-bag lunch arrive at mountain by 9:00am.
- Free/open skiing all day Saturday.
- Event is done at the close of the last lift Saturday.
Registration will open soon with more information to come. We need help with registration and all the release forms that are required.
If you can help in any way or have questions please email or call me 406-431-2705. All the volunteers helping is how we put on this great event for only $90.00. A lift ticket at Big Sky this year is $139.00 per day.
See you on the mountain!