MONTANA COUNCIL NATIONAL YOUTH LEADERSHIP TRAINING
Every Scouts BSA and Venturing unit is encouraged to send at least one youth to National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT.) This is an exciting, action-packed CO-ED training course designed to provide all youth members of the Boy Scouts of America with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home units and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others.
East Course Dates & Location:
Dates: June 21 – 27, 2020
K-M Scout Ranch near Lewistown, MT
West Course Dates & Location:
NYLT West Course has been postponed until fall. Dates will be updated when information becomes available.
Grizzly Base near Big Fork, MT
What is National Youth Leadership Training?
NYLT is an exciting, action-packed program designed to provide all youth members of the Boy Scouts of America with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home units and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others.
Montana Council is offering this National Youth Leadership Training course which emphasizes the operation of an adult-led, youth-run unit and is closely linked to the Wood Badge course. The presentations are conducted by NYLT trained youth working under the leadership of Wood Badge trained adults.
Who may attend?
THIS IS A CO-ED EVENT! This training is open to Scouts BSA and Ventures.
- In order to attend an NYLT course, a youth must have the following qualifications by the beginning of the course:
- Must be a registered member of a Scouting unit.
- Must have a current BSA Health and Medical Record form parts A, B, and C.
- As of March 1, 2019, Scouts BSA members (male and female) must be at least 13. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops and earn the First Class rank before attending NYLT.
- Venturers and Sea Scouts (male and female) must be at least 14, or 13 and have completed eighth grade, and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or Ships. It is recommended that they have had at least one year of camping experience. While NYLT is not an outdoor skills course, it is important that each participant have basic camping and outdoor cooking experience.
- Have a unit leader recommendation.
Is the home Scoutmaster/Advisor involved?
Yes! It is expected that the troop Scoutmaster/Advisor or a designated adult scout leader, will work with the scouts prior to attending NYLT to provide them with the basics of leadership and outdoor skills. It is strongly recommended that participants be graduates of the Troop Leadership Training or the Crew Leader Training.
What uniform are Scouts expected to wear at NYLT?
Scouts attending NYLT are expected to arrive in their complete official field (Class A) uniform. A complete uniform consists of a Scout shirt, Scout Pants, Scout belt and Scout socks. NYLT T-shirts will be issued for the participants to wear during the conference.
Deadline for registration is May 1, 2020.
Each course will have a maximum of 48 participants.
Most of all NYLT-is fun! After attending, most participants list it as their top experience in scouting. The lasting friendships made between scouts from all around the state go far beyond scouting.
Units have the option to choose which location is most convenient for them. 2019 Information will be available by November 1, 2018
Registration Fees and Refunds
The NYLT course fee of $250 includes all course material and food during the course. This fee is due in full prior to the first day of the course or the applicant will not be allowed to participate in the course. Cancellation requests received on or before April 1, 2020, will receive a full refund and their place in the course may be filled by a participant from another unit. Cancellations between April 1st and May 15, 2020, will be charged a cancellation fee of $75. Cancellations after May 15, 2020, will be assessed the full $250.00 course fee. The unit may opt to send someone else in place of cancellation and the cancellation fee will be waived. An application for the unit’s replacement participant, including a current BSA Medical Form, must be received prior to June 5th or all fees will be forfeited.
All applicants should both register online and submit the paper application,