MONTANA COUNCIL NATIONAL YOUTH LEADERSHIP TRAINING
Every Scouts BSA and Venturing unit is encouraged to send at least one youth to National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT.) This is an exciting, action-packed CO-ED training course designed to provide all youth members of the Boy Scouts of America with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home units and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others.
K-M Scout Ranch: June 23rd – 29th, 2019
Grizzly Base: June 16th – 22nd, 2019
What is National Youth Leadership Training?
NYLT is an exciting, action packed program designed to provide all youth members of the Boy Scouts of America with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home units and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others.
Montana Council is offering this National Youth Leadership Training course which emphasizes the operation of an adult led, youth run unit and is closely linked to the Wood Badge course. The presentations are conducted by NYLT trained youth working under the leadership of Wood Badge trained adults.
Who may attend?
THIS IS A CO-ED EVENT! This training is open to Scouts BSA and Ventures who meet the following criteria:
- Scouts BSA and Varsity: 14 years old or older by June 16, 2019 or be 13 years old and completed the 8th grade.
- Venturers and Sea Scouts (male and female): 14 years old or older by June 16, 2019 or special Crew Advisor and Course Director approval
- Currently registered member of a Scouting unit
- Scouts BSA and Varsity Scouts must have achieved First Class Rank and have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops; exception for 2019 for females joining new troops.
- Venturers and Sea Scouts must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or Ships and have basic camping experience.
- Have a desire to actively participate in all activities and presentation during the week long course
- Obtain written recommendation to attend NYLT from your Unit
- Bring at least one complete Field Uniform (shirt, belt, pants and socks)
Is the home Scoutmaster/Advisor involved?
Yes! It is expected that the troop Scoutmaster/Advisor or a designated adult scout leader, will work with the scouts prior to attending NYLT to provide them with the basics of leadership and outdoor skills. It is strongly recommended that participants be graduates of the Troop Leadership Training or the Crew Leader Training.
What uniform are Scouts expected to wear at NYLT?
Scouts attending NYLT are expected to arrive in their complete official field (Class A) uniform. A complete uniform consists of a Scout shirt, Scout Pants, Scout belt and Scout socks. NYLT T-shirts will be issued for the participants to wear during the conference.
Deadline for registration is June 1st.
Each course will have a maximum of 48 participants.
Most of all NYLT-is fun! After attending, most participants list it as their top experience in scouting. The lasting friendships made between scouts from all around the state go far beyond scouting.
Units have the option to choose which location is most convenient for them. 2019 Information will be available by November 1, 2018
Registration Fees and Refunds
The NYLT Course Fee of $250 is due in full prior to the course date, June 16th, 2019 for the west course,or June 23,2019 for the east course, the applicant will not be allowed to participate in the course. Cancellation requests received on or before April 1st, 2019 will receive a full refund and their place in the course may be filled by a participant from another unit. Cancellations between April 1st, 2019 and May 15th, 2019 will be charged a cancellation fee of $75.00. Cancellations after May 15th, 2019 will be assessed the full $250 course fee. The unit may opt to send someone else in place of a cancellation and the cancellation fee will be waived. An application for the unit’s replacement participant, including a current BSA Medical Form, must be received prior to June 15th or all fees will be forfeited.
All applicants should both register online and submit the paper application,