You are invited to celebrate the BSA’s 110th Anniversary in February 2020!
The Boy Scouts of America was founded on February 8, 1910. To celebrate, Montana Council offers an Anniversary Month Contest during the month of February.
Any Montana Council unit can earn a beautiful purple Honor Unit streamer for their unit flag pole by completing any TWO of the following eight activities during February:
1. Create a short (approximately 30 seconds) video “Why We like Scouting!”
2. Conduct a service project
3. Attend a religious service, wearing your BSA uniforms on Scout Sunday (February 9) or Scout Sabbath (February 7) or another Sunday in February, as determined by your faith organization
4. Create a BSA display in a business window
5. Perform a flag ceremony for a school, service group, governmental meeting, or care facility
6. Write a letter to the Editor. Thank your community for their support of Scouting and name a few of your unit’s service projects
7. Secure a Proclamation from a governmental official, recognizing February 8 as Boy Scouts of America Day
8. Wear your BSA uniforms to school one day
Just email Michelle (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than Thursday, March 12, 2020, and tell her the activities your unit completed. You will then receive your Honor Unit ribbon.
The Units (one Pack, one Troop, one Crew) that submit the best information (photos, news articles, or videos) about their activities will receive special awards, including paid luncheon tickets for two leaders and two Scouts to Montana Council’s Annual Awards luncheon on Saturday, May 2 in Missoula, a Troop plaque and Scout Bucks for each registered youth!
Have a question? Please contact Mary Matelich, Vice-President Public Relations, email@example.com
We look forward to your participation in the Anniversary Month Contest!
2019 Anniversary Month Contest Winners
In 2008, Montana Council initiated the Anniversary Month Contest during February to encourage units to celebrate the Boy Scouts of America’s birthday.
Every unit that completes any two of eight suggested activities earns a purple Honor Unit streamer. Units that complete the most activities in their age group are selected as winners of the Contest. For 2019, we recognize three units: a Pack, a Troop and a Crew.
Each unit will receive a plaque, the Honor Unit streamer and Scout Bucks for each youth registered member.
The winning Cub Scout Pack is Pack 4949, Kalispell, chartered by Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Norwest District! Accepting their awards are:
Cubmaster Sonya Petersen,
Bear Den Leader Ashley Barnekoff
Bears Teryx Lloyd and Zander Barnekoff.
Pack 4949 completed the following activities:
- Wrote a Letter to the Editor of The Flathead Beacon
- Attended Scout Sunday service in uniforms
- Wore Scout uniforms to school
- Conducted a service project by serving a spaghetti dinner to the homeless in Flathead Valley
- Set up a Scout Window Display in a local business
- Video of “Why We Like Scouting”
Congratulations, Pack 4949, on being selected as the Pack winner for Montana Council’s Anniversary Month Contest!
The winning Scouts, BSA Troop is Troop 1941, Columbia Falls, chartered by the Columbia Falls Lions’ Club, Northwest District. Troop 1941 is represented today by:
Jamie Reed, Assistant Scoutmaster
Julie King, Assistant Scoutmaster
Nick King, Assistant Scoutmaster
Kaylee King, Senior Patrol Leader
Elaine Reed, Assistant Senior Patrol Leader
Ilah Mackenzie, Patrol Leader
Troop 1941completed the following activities during February:
- Wore their Scout Uniforms to Columbia Falls Junior High School one day
- After being chosen as Students of the Week by their peers, their photo was featured in the local newspaper and
- Made a short video, “Why we like Scouting.”
Congratulations, Troop 1941, on being selected as the Troop winner for Montana Council’s Anniversary Month Contest!
The winning Crew is Venture Crew 2206, Helena, chartered by American Legion Post #2, Prickly Pear District. Crew 2206 and Advisor Dexter Ittner are represented by the following:
Venturing Scouts Marina Ittner and Marissa Tenter
Advisors Vicki Hentz and Darla Tenter
Crew 2206 did the following activities during February:
- Set up a Scout Window
- Received a Proclamation from the Mayor of Helena,
- Received a Proclamation from the Mayor of East Helena.
- Received a Proclamation from Senator Daines
- Wore their uniforms to Church service for Scout Sunday.
- For a service project, they assisted Family Promise with the Comfort food challenge event and
- Made a video for Scout Month
Congratulations, Crew 2206, for being our Venturing Crew winner!
Thank you to all Units who participated in this year’s Anniversary Month Contest. We look forward to your activities next February!