What: Powder Horn High Adventure Management Resource Course/ BSA16-hr Wilderness First Aid Course.
When: Aug 15-18, 2019 (with Checking late afternoon Aug 14, 2019)
Where: Grizzly Base
Mark your calendars! We are only accepting 25 participants – youth and adult – so don’t wait to register.
For interested adults, we are targeting those who are Direct Contact Leaders and who are serious about improving their unit program. Everyone needs to be in fair shape to do the activities. This is a hands-on course.
For those interested or for more information, download the following PDF with registration form and gear list.
Why Powder Horn?
Many Scouting leaders face the dilemma of having a strong desire to provide challenging and fun outdoor programs to meet the needs of their older youth members but lack the knowledge and/or resources to do so.
Powder Horn responds to the quandary with an exciting new training opportunity that exposes Venturing, Boy Scout leaders, and Cub Scout leaders, Venturing Program Youth and Boy Scout Program Youth to a wide range of outdoor/high adventure activities.
More importantly, Powder Horn provides its participants with valuable resource and contacts to assist them in delivering the promise of Scouting’s high adventure to youth. At least ten High Adventure subjects will be presented during the course.
In 2019 we will be offering WFA as part of your PH training, a core subject in the PH syllabi and highly recommended certification in the high adventure programs. You will be able to either get your initial WFA certification or recertification if you have taken it in the past.
Who May Attend a Powder Horn Course and Wilderness First Aid?
Powder Horn is open to any youth who is at least 14 years of age (or 13 and has completed eighth grade, if part of a Venturing crew) or any adult registered in the BSA.
Participant guidelines include:
- Youth must have completed the unit’s version of leadership training (Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops, Ships, or Crews). Previous attendance at National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT)
- Adults must be trained for their position.
- All Adult participants must complete BSA Youth Protection. ALL participants (Adult and Youth) must complete Hazardous Weather Training, Safety Afloat, Safe Swim Defense, and Trek Safely prior to the course.
- Meet the physical requirements contained in the Annual Health and Medical Record physical in a backcountry environment. Forms A, B, And C. Bring medical forms with you to course
Upon successful completion of the Powder Horn course and Wilderness First Aid participants will be awarded a certificate of completion for both courses and the Powder Horn Device and WFA Trained Patch. The PH devise is worn hanging from the left pocket of the uniform.
Course cost: $350.00, a deposit of $100 due with the registration form, balance due NLT June 15, 2019
Some of the many activities you may expect this coming year:
- Wilderness First Aid certification or re certification
- White Water Rafting on the Flathead River
- Sailing in the Flathead Lake
- Two Bear Air Rescue Demonstration
- Wilderness Survival/Map Reading
- Risk Management training
- Daily High Adventure Team Challenges
Again – find the registration form, what you’ll need to bring and the above information in the downloadable PDF below.